Monday, February 09, 2015

NRA Counterstamped Nickel

First counter-stamped nickel I found in my change. This nickel has NRA cut into the coin over the dome on Monticello on the back.

Counter-stamping coins is legal and done by private citizens or certain companies as novelties items. As long as the stamp is not an attempt as fraud or made for profit making advertizing then it is legal.

After a little research I found only one person who claimed to have made thousands of these and released them into circulation. The person using the name counterstamp claimed to have done it to show their support for the National Rifle Association. This was back in 2009 and the RealCent forum thread shows little new information about the stamper who is no longer a member.

As for value it has no extra value. Actually it may be rejected for use in sales or monetary transaction since the coin has been altered, that still does not mean that altering a coin is illegal it is just annoying. Luckily it is small and most people will not notice or care.

Here's the stats for this coin...
Type/Country: 5 Cents / United States
Year: 1976-D
Metal: 75% copper 25% nickel
Mintage: 563,964,147
Value: $0.05 in Damaged

Do you have a nickel and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

26 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Unknown said...

I just found one with NRA struck in red ink on the front and the NRA struck on the back in blue ink. I can E-mail you pictures.

Man said...

I just found one with NRA struck in red ink on the front and the NRA struck on the back in blue ink. I can E-mail you pictures.

No pictures need.
These are done by loyal fans of the NRA and have no collectors value.

Anonymous said...

Just got one, NRA struck over the dome of Montecellio. Western Massachusetts here

Anonymous said...

Found while counting my drawer at work. 2001 Nickel, NRA stamped over the Montecellio in Southern New Hampshire. Cool find!

Man said...

Just got one, NRA struck over the dome of Montecellio. Western Massachusetts here

Nice, it would be nice to see who made them originally.

Man said...

Found while counting my drawer at work. 2001 Nickel, NRA stamped over the Montecellio in Southern New Hampshire.

Cool. I think the person who made them just had random nickels.

Unknown said...

Found one today same stamp

Anonymous said...

I just found one like the picture 2001 Philadelphia NRA dead centered over Monticello. Nickel is really beat up, date hard to see. Mohnton Pennsylvania

Anonymous said...

Found one on the south shore in massachusetts, mines from 1991 and in great condition.2019

Unknown said...

I have 5 cents 2003 NRA; gives value

Anonymous said...

I just found 0ne in Central New Hampshire.

John Wilkinson said...

I have one nickle that has a mint flaw very significant on the front. I've put it away and kinda' just forgot about it. My friend a more serious collector than myself (I'm "serious" just....he knows more. I limit to low-end collecting for most part) gave me name for it but...now I would have to look back to know. The nickle is "very fine" condition. My friend called it a good find but won't venture a VALUE range.
Maybe with time I can place a photo.

John Wilkinson said...

I have one nickle that has a mint flaw very significant on the front. I've put it away and kinda' just forgot about it. My friend a more serious collector than myself (I'm "serious" just....he knows more. I limit to low-end collecting for most part) gave me name for it but...now I would have to look back to know. The nickle is "very fine" condition. My friend called it a good find but won't venture a VALUE range.
Maybe with time I can place a photo.

Anonymous said...

Did the NRA also do this for Quarters? Found one today with a stamp in front of Washington's face. Connecticut here

Unknown said...

Got one in Massachusetts

RLsavage said...

I found one right now looking through some nickel rolls. Pretty cool find. Going to keep

RLsavage said...

I found one right now looking through some nickel rolls. Pretty cool find. Going to keep

Anonymous said...

I found one. 2000 NRA stamped over the monticello in the bay area, gonna keep or give to a family member. definitely very cool.

Anonymous said...

I just got a 2000 P Jefferson with the NRA stamp over Monticello here in South Central Vermont

Unknown said...

Found a 1996 p with it also, henniker NH

Unknown said...

Found a 1985 P nickel also with NRA stamped on the back in New Bedford Massachusetts

Unknown said...

Just found a 1963 nickel with NRA on the back. It was interesting to learn about it. Thank you

207basshead said...

Found about 7 here in Maine love finding these while hunting. 207basshead on tik toc follow me let me know where you find them.

Anonymous said...

Same 96 p with nra stamp

Anonymous said...

1945 nickel with a s over the building on back. Is this a rare nickel or not ?

Anonymous said...

That’s just the mint mark , s is san fransisco,not rare but made of 35% silver