Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Dateless Buffalo Nickel

It has been over two years since I last found a buffalo nickel in my change. This one is so worn that the date is not visible, this is not damaged just natural wear. The great thing is even without a date it carries extra value since the coin is a true classic.



Trying to narrow down a date I looked carefully for clues.
  1. No mint mark. Means it is not a 1938.
  2. All 4 legs, means it is not the 3-legged 1937 variety.
  3. FIVE CENTS is in recess so it is not the 1913 Raised Ground type.
That leaves 21 possible matches from 1913-1937. Most are fairly common and without a clear date none of them would bring any real value. There are probably Buffalo nickel experts that could narrow down the list by subtle design changes but I do not know them off-hand.

Still it has a classic design and is commonly used in jewelery. I have seen them on pendants, cufflinks, and plated for other types of decorations. For that reason about fifty cents per coin that is not otherwise damaged is fair.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 5 Cents / United States
Year: 19??
Mintage: ????
Metal: 75% Copper, 25% Nickel
Value: $0.50 in G-4

Do you have an old nickel and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

8 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Anonymous said...

I have an old buffalo head nickel and I want to know what its max value is....

Man said...

an old buffalo head nickel and I want to know what its max value is...

What year?
What mint mark?
What condition?

Anonymous said...

I have a 1919 buffalo nickel minted in P. Were there any minted in 1419

Man said...

1919 buffalo nickel minted in P. Were there any minted in 1419

No.

Doris Mitchell-Woods said...

I have a buffalo nickel with no date. The buffalo has 4 legs and five cent is visual.

Unknown said...

My Buffalo Nickel is also dateless and with no mint mark. So looks like I didnt get my come up out of change from a pack of smokes lol.

Unknown said...

Hi have two nicles one is 1936 and the other is faded

Anonymous said...

Yes I would like to know how much a no-dates and faded on the Liberty Buffalo Indian Head nickel is worth and I have two 1964 ad Nickels can anyone tell me if they are worth anything