Wednesday, July 03, 2013

1867-1992 Canadian Proof Cent

Have a 1992 Canadian penny and want to know its value?

Happy Belated Canada Day! July 1 was Canada but hey why not celebrate all week. Here is a nice proof coin I found years ago. Note that a proof cent has a frosted relief and a shiny brilliant background like a cameo. Also this is a 1992 coin not a 1867 coin.


Mine is a bit dusty and spotted but nothing to bad. How I find it is a mystery since I cannot remember if it was from change or a coin lot. These proof coins would not circulate and were sold in sets that should have been sealed. The high quality of the coins meant they often got separated and slabbed by grading companies. It is possible that this one has some spots that are permanent and not worthy of grading. 

There are a bunch of cents produced each year from the Canadian mint. Proofs are the highest quality and have that cameo effect I mentioned before. Specimen cents are usually brilliant relief on a parallel lined background. Proof-Like is brilliant relief on brilliant background. Silver proof sets have a proof-like cent made of bronze instead of their current mix. Then once they even made a gold-plated cent. Yeah it gets crazy at the royal Canadian Mint.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 1 Cent / Canada
Year: 1992 (1867-)
Mintage: 147,061
Metal: 98% Copper, 0.5% Tin, 1.5% Zinc
Value: $3.00 in Proof-64

Do you have a cent from Canada and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you

46 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Ultra64 said...

That is awesome~ Nice find.

Yesterday i found a 2013 25 cent de Salaberry Canadian quarter with a Red leaf on it that says 1812. It is in excellent condition.

first colored coin found in the wild.

Man said...

found a 2013 25 cent de Salaberry Canadian quarter with a Red leaf on it that says 1812. It is in excellent condition.

That is cool, keep it safe since the red tends to scratch off easily.

Aussie Kid said...

Hey there today I got a Lighthouse Optima coin album and in only 2.5 hours I filled all 304 slots with my coins! I got the album from my sister who bought it for my birthday and the album is AWESOME!

Man said...

I got a Lighthouse Optima coin album and in only 2.5 hours I filled all 304 slots with my coins! I got the album from my sister who bought it for my birthday and the album is AWESOME!

Happy Birthday! You got an awesome sister, you must have a large collection.

Aussie Kid said...

I am interested in knowing the value of an Australian 1925 Penny because A: It is a scarce date and B: I need it for my collection. I will add it as a space filler because it has A HOLE IN IT DAM IT. It is for sale for $25 and I was wondering if it was worth buying. The is covering the 1 and 9 of 1925 and is it worth more than 25 dollars?

Aussie Kid said...

Yea its not as big as yours it's only 600 or so coins.

Man said...

Australian 1925 Penny about $50.00 in a low grade of good (G-4).

A damaged coin like that should be $5.00. That said trying to find any is tough but I would wait for a quality piece.

Yea its not as big as yours it's only 600 or so coins.
--At your age I barely had 40 coins, so you're doing great.

Aussie Kid said...

Yea I am 13 and mu uncle gave me 150-200 or so australian 1 and 2 cent coins a few weeks ago what is the average value for both of them?

Man said...

australian 1 and 2 cent coins

Most are less than $0.10 each.

Anne Crawford-Clarke said...

Hi, my mother has a bunch of old coins (I haven't gone through them) and she wants to know how to find someone who might be interested in buying them, who is honest. She's 77 and doesn't have a lot of money. I read your post concerning the RCMP quarter, she has about $100 worth of them (in face value terms) so I'll have a look see and figure out what might be of value. She also has some Newfoundland coins.

Anonymous said...

I found a good condition "200 D" penny today. You only see 200and the D is faded. There is no damage to the penny and it has been circulated. Do you have a value? I have searched and searched and found nothing. Thanks!!!
Jessicamae3@yahoo.com

Man said...

...how to find someone who might be interested in buying them, who is honest...

Try the PCGS dealer in your area.
http://www.pcgs.com/dealers/

Also local coin clubs are usually honest, but before that maybe stop at a library or bookstore and pick up a coin book for cheap to get a ballpark value.

Or online price guides,
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/
http://www.pcgs.com/prices/

Man said...

good condition "200 D" penny today. You only see 200and the D is faded. There is no damage to the penny and it has been circulated.

Struck Through Grease error, no extra value.

Anonymous said...

I have a 1982 penny w/ liberty ok the other side of Lincoln's face and backwards (ytrebil) above the date. There is also partial lettering on bottom. Thicker on part of penny. Rev side, right figure on monument steps lower

Man said...

1982 penny w/ liberty ok the other side of Lincoln's face and backwards (ytrebil) above the date. There is also partial lettering on bottom. Thicker on part of penny. Rev side, right figure on monument steps lower

Could be a Die Clash error or possibly someone smashed two cents together.

Either case no extra value.

Unknown said...

Hi I have a 1867-1992 one cent canadian coin and is in good condition. It has the shinny background and almost looks like it would have a two tone copper color to it. Could you please let me know if it is worth anything and how much?

Thank you,
Laura

Man said...

1867-1992 one cent canadian coin and is in good condition. It has the shinny background and almost looks like it would have a two tone copper color to it.

If proof about $3.00.

If not about $0.05.

Unknown said...

Received a 1867 - 1992 cent in change today. The front and back are lacking the frosting. Could there have been some mistakes made? Also, what does the KG stand for?

Man said...

1867 - 1992 cent in change today. The front and back are lacking the frosting.

Could there have been some mistakes made?
--No that is normal.

Also, what does the KG stand for?
--Coin Designer, G.E. Kruger Gray

Unknown said...

Someone just left big jar of penny's oldest penny canada penny is 1935 ,1941 , 1946 then hand full of 1867-1992 and hand full of 1952-2002 penny then mixed penny usa and other would like more information about coins, thanks:)

Anonymous said...

Have a candian 1867-1992 one cent coin decent condition. How much is it worth

Man said...

canada penny is
1935 about $0.50
1941 about $0.30
1946 about $0.10
1867-1992 about $0.02
1952-2002 about $0.02

Man said...

candian 1867-1992 one cent coin decent condition

About $0.02

Unknown said...

I found one 1867-1992

Unknown said...

My mother recently passed away and I'm going through her old things but alot of the coins I'm finding seem to be from my grandparents. I found an older looking penny 1867-1992. I was just curious as to how much it is worth? I know absolutely nothing about coin collecting. So I apologize in advance if I sound stupid.

Anonymous said...

I have a Canada 1867_1967 1 cent penny

Anonymous said...

I have 1 PC 1 cent Canada 1867-1992 good condition

B.P.Karaoke Bob said...

I have 2 1943 steel pennies,1944 Canadian nickel,looking for price year is readable on both

Unknown said...

I have found the cooin written 1867-1992,brownin colour behind it has a flower written Canada 1cent iam in Uganda willing to sell if possible thanks

Unknown said...

Hello, I have a Canadian penny 1867-1992 struck on a Dime Planchet, can you give me any info on perhaps the rarity and or value along with any other information you may be able to share in regards to this coin. Much appreciated look forward to hearing from you at your convenience thank you. .... John

Unknown said...

I have 1 piece 1867-1992, 2pcs.1997 flag canada on other side,1pc 1975,1pc 1964,1pc 1977,I have a 80's also

Unknown said...

What about a canada 1 cent penny has two date (1867-1992) with leave has KG ..OTHER SIDE SAY ELIZABETH 11 D.G REGINA WHATS VAULE

Unknown said...

I have a 1867-1992 cent that is extremely flawed on both sides. How can I get you a picture?

Unknown said...

1 have a canada 1967_1992 coin

Unknown said...

I have a rare coin i want is to sale it how much all of this coin i need ur e mail add to forward the picture of coin canada and euro coin ill wait for ur response

jajabi said...

I have 1867-1992 $1,
1867-1967 $.01,
1952- $.01,
1968- $.01,
1943- $.01,
1956- $.01,
1973, 1974, $.50,
1776-1976 $.25
All in canadian coins. Is there any value of these coins? Pls let me know thanks.

Anonymous said...

I have one that has a 1946 on it.
Can you tell me what it means?

Unknown said...

I have a 1928 Canadian cent, and a bunch of nickels from the same country dating from 1937 to 1952. Do you mind telling me if any of these have any real value?

Unknown said...

P.S. there are also a number of what appears to be commemorative coins...dimes, nickels and quarter plus multiple pennies
Gmk

Joseph Usher said...

Hello,

I have a 1867-1992 Canadian penny. It's rather dull, although the lettering and all can still be read easily. I was wondering first of all, why was it minted? Was it for a Canadian national celebration? And second, is it worth anything? If you know a collector who wants it, I am willing to give it away for the price of shipping. I don't really care about the coin, but I'm sure someone does. I just want reimbursed for shipping if they want it. Let me know.

Thanks,
Joe U

Jasmine S said...

I have this exact coin but not in great condition like yours, I didn’t know if it was worth anything or not

Jasmine S said...

I have this exact coin but the condition is not that great and I didn’t know if it was worth keeping or did it even have value

Jasmine S said...

I have this exact coin but the condition is not that great and I didn’t know if it was worth keeping or did it even have value

Unknown said...

I have the same penny but on the back under the #1 between the leaves there's no marking. Did I find a misprint worth anything?

The 2022 Of Coined For Money said...

in July or August 2020, i found in 1867-1992 for the Last Canadian Penny on the Ground of Pic-Nic table. so, i pick up cleaning with anti bacterian...



in October 6, 2020... i'll cleaning with all mustic.... and i Found 1867-1992 Canadian Penny. I worth is $0,02. [cents]. now, it was 2 or 3 month, or 1 or 2 month. i don't know was like this...

it was 28 Years in about 1867, about 125 Years, in 1992, from in 2022 i was 30 Years.



now, i had 2 Crayons color..

ESCJ, Vaudreuil-Dorion.

the last saying "Car" [Shush - Shhhh]... OK, sorry.

now, let's cleaning their pennies to see the year is...

Anonymous said...

and the last of 2012 canadian penny