Friday, September 21, 2012

2012 Cent, Die Breaks

Have an error coin and want to know its value? Leave a comment

Die breaks or die cracks either way it happens when the die used to press the coin starts to crack and eventually completely breaks. Alert mint employees should notice the tiny cracks before that happens stop production, recycle the error coins, and replace the die. A great article from Coin World shows how the U.S. mint is trying to eliminate Die Breaks using a visual check list. 


The front is normal without any hint of error.


At least three major cracks with a large cud on the the top of the shield and a long crack from the rim over the O going towards the center of the coin. There are a few minor cracks on the shield and a few of the letters but they are very small.


The die crack must have been deep because the longest break is very pronounced. It sticks out from the coin above any other design element. 

I also love the fact they call the error checking poster "2011 PENNY TYPICAL DEFECTS" showing that penny is an official term for cent coins. From that chart I can see two if not three of the areas on my coin had breaks exactly where they predicted.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 1 Cent / United States
Year: 2012
Mintage: about 2.2 billion to date
Metal: 97.5% Zinc, 2.5% Copper
Value: $0.01 in AU but...

While I would not place any extra value on die breaks I have seen them being sold for about $2.50 on average in high grade. I did not find any 2012 cents online with such obvious cracks so this one may be worth more if indeed the mint is making greater efforts to eliminate errors.

Do you have an error cent and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you. 

6 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Anonymous said...

I know there's a speared Buffalo nickel that has sold for quite a bit, but have you ever heard of a speared lincoln? I have one 2009 that a die crack crosses from the back of the neck and through to the front. I also have a horned lincoln that has a die crack that comes from the forehead with a smaller, shorter crack below and above it. It's pretty unique, and I have yet to see any others like it. Any info?

Man said...

I have one 2009 that a die crack crosses from the back of the neck and through to the front. I also have a horned lincoln that has a die crack that comes from the forehead with a smaller, shorter crack below and above it. It's pretty unique, and I have yet to see any others like it.

Yes, these are common especially on Memorial cents. Just like the spiked head cents.

Like mine they are not rare. Unique since nearly all cracks are different but I'm sure tens of thousands were made.

Anonymous said...

I have a 1956 wheat cent front is off center the back is almost smooth no rim but light die strike. I looked the coin over good with a 10X magnifier and find to evidence of abnormal wear or polishing. Also have a 1968 P dime with no reeding on the edge the rim is round and 1/2 covers the Unites States on the back. It looks like the edge was over rolled. Any ideas?

Man said...

1956 wheat cent front is off center the back is almost smooth no rim but light die strike...
--Just worn, it is 56 years old and any polishing marks have been worn by use and time.
I have found many like this, no extra value.

1968 P dime with no reeding on the edge the rim is round and 1/2 covers the Unites States on the back. It looks like the edge was over rolled.
--Sounds like a Misaligned Die error, no extra value unless the design is missing.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I am S.D. Sharma from India
I have Lincoln cent of 1985
having crack die error.
Any info?

Man said...

Lincoln cent of 1985
having crack die error.


Common and no extra value.

Since Lincoln cents are made in the billions they often are cracked.