Tuesday, September 25, 2012

1976 Somalia 5 Senti, Crowned Arms

Have a Somalia coin and want to know its value? Leave a comment

There are two versions of this coin. One is very rare and the other is extremely common. Guess which one I got? That is right the common version. Not surprising I got it back in 2005 from a $3.00 eBay lot. Those thing are almost always cherry-picked.

The rare one has a five within a circle but the common type has a crowned arms with lion supports.

JAMHURIYADDA DIMOQRAADIGA SOOMAALIYA
جمهورية الصومال الديمقراطية
senti 5 سنت
1976 ١٩٧٦

This like most of the Somalian coins are Food and Agriculture Organization (F.A.O.)  issues and promote good food and agricultural practices. Somalia has a long history starting at least as far back as 9000 B.C. They were mostly fine until Europeans came in and since they left Somalia has been struggling with power hungry rulers and religious fundamentalists. 

Most of there coins are just worth metal value but in 1976 a 5 senti was issued in small amounts that did not contain the crowned arms. In uncirculated it is over $200.00 compared to $0.35 for the one with the crowned arms. It is not known how mant were made but since they do not come up much in auction I think less than a few hundreds.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 5 Senti / Somalia
Year: 1976
Mintage: 18,500,000
Metal: Aluminum
Value: $0.10 in Very-Fine

Also found a 1970 Canada cent in my change but again that has been .

Do you have coin from Slovakia and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

6 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

DEMA said...

My Somalia coins:
http://dema.com.ua/Countries_Krause/Somalia.html

Man said...


My Somalia coins:


Nice.

Rick said...

Hi,

I recently acquired a 2013 Somali Republic 2000 shilling 1 kg .999 silver round ( with privy mark ) year of the snake for $570 in original mint packaging in pristine condition.

I was searching for more information on this coin on the internet but I was not successful in getting concrete information on this coin other than that it was minted by the bavarian mint in Germany. It's origin, history and legal tender status is a mystery. I found out that it is a part of a African Wildlife series ( Somali Elephant ) which has been going on from the year 2004 every year in different denomination and varieties like 1 0z bu, proof, high relief, kilo etc. I have been unsuccessful inspite of my best efforts in finding more info on the Kilo coins in this series on the net.

Can you please tell me whether this coin is legal tender issued on behalf of the Somali Govt ?

What is its mintage ?

Did I buy this round for a fair price or did I overpay for this coin ?

What is its fair market value now if I would like to sell this ?

Also I am not able to find the KM number as well as information on this coin in Standard catalog of world coins by Krause publications.

Is this coin a keeper whose value will appreciate in the future or is it best if I liquidate the coin now for whatever I get ?

Am I at least assured of 1 kg .999 silver in this round to at least liquidate it for the spot price of silver ?

Thanks and hoping to receive answers for all the queries raised by me in respect of this coin from you. I will really appreciate if you can share some history and throw some light on this huge silver Kilo coin.

Man said...

Sorry for the ridiculously late response but I was real busy for a while.

Can you please tell me whether this coin is legal tender issued on behalf of the Somali Govt ?
--This in not legal tender and was not officially authorized. That said Somalia has bigger issues then someone issuing coins in there name. As long as the coins are as advertised they will probably accept them in the future as official collectibles.

What is its mintage ?
--Unknown, probably made to order 2,000 or less.

Did I buy this round for a fair price or did I overpay for this coin ? What is its fair market value now if I would like to sell this ?
--Fair value although melt value is currently about $510 it still is a nice piece of art.

Also I am not able to find the KM number as well as information on this coin in Stndard catalog of world coins by Krause publications.
--Not listed and probably will not be for a while.

Is this coin a keeper whose value will appreciate in the future or is it best if I liquidate the coin now for whatever I get ? Am I at least assured of 1 kg .999 silver in this round to at least liquidate it for the spot price of silver ?
--Due to the inability to find records it will most likely never have more than 10% over melt value to most buyers.

Again being an unofficial coin makes it not s valued.

Anonymous said...

I got alot of coins even three 1dollar silver coins mint from Canada they all have weren't Elizabeth except one is the old lady one says .999 on it

Man said...

I got alot of coins even three 1dollar silver coins mint from Canada they all have weren't Elizabeth except one is the old lady one says .999 on it

That's great. Any clear description and I can help with history or value.