Friday, September 28, 2012

1943-S Steel Cent

Have a cent and want to know its value? Leave a comment

This is not the $1 million dollar copper 1943 cent. Instead this is the normal zinc-coated steel cent issued because there was a copper shortage during World War II. Copper and silver version were made accidentally and sell for hundreds of thousands to $1.7 million for a unique 1943-D copper cent.


 I have been hearing about the rare and valuable 1943 penny since I was a kid. They used to advertise in the TV Guide that only four copper war cent have been found and you may rich if you find the fifth. Of course I searched for years and finally at my first job I found one in the register and kept it. I was young and not an expert collector so as soon as I found it I tried cashing it in. Hoping to get at at least $100,000 you can imagine my disappointment when he said $0.10.

Now I am older and understand that the error version is very rare. Most have been found and rarely go to auction. Many fakes exist and while weight is a good way to show fraud most are so expertly made that only a professional grading service can tell.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 1 Cent  / United States
Year: 1943-S
Mintage: 191,550,000
Metal: 100% Steel and plated with Zinc
Value: $0.40 in F-12

If you notice on certain spots on this coin the zinc is wearing off and the steel is getting exposed and rusting.

Do you have a cent and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

7 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

john2dod said...

i found a 2017p penny with a bump on its head can you help me.Thank you john2dod

Unknown said...

I have a 1943-S steel penny that is magnetic. I was wondering much is it worth today for 1 penny? I also have 2 pictures wanted to show you

Unknown said...

I have a penny 1943 steel i will like to know if it worth something

Unknown said...

Need info

Unknown said...

Jai une 1943 liberty one cent usa

Unknown said...

J’ai trouver une cent 1943 j’aimerais savoir le prix

Unknown said...

So the one with the ass that's got the nest up for wartime Penny what's it worth says you tried cashing it in 400,000 and then it says that the copper ones worth 1.7 million but it doesn't say anything about the one that you showed me a picture of I'm just curious