Sunday, July 22, 2012

1985 New Zealand 10 Cents, Low Relief

Have a New Zealand coin and want to know its value? Leave a comment

The low relief version of the was made at Royal Canadian Mint in Ottawa instead of the Royal Australian Mint, Canberra. It is distinguishable from the high relief version because of the wiry hair and bushy eyebrow. Well that is assuming you have another 1985 to compare it to, which I do not have.


Can you see the wiry hair and bushy eyebrow? Neither can I so I had to assume the the very detailed hair meant it was wiry. The fact most of the design is also very flat and does not pop out like high relief coin is another clue.

The biggest clue however is that the high relief version was only issued in sets and the low relief was for circulation. Although my previous New Zealand finds have included proofs I am almost certain this one is not mint or proof.

As with most New Zealand coins this one has been recalled, demonetized replaced*, and melted by the millions. They really did not like small change and killed it back in 2006.One result is that the surviving coins have increased in collectors value.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 10 Cents / New Zealand
Year: 1985 (Ottawa, recut die with low relief)
Mintage: 8,000,000
Metal: Copper-Nickel
Value: $0.25 in Very-Fine

*Let me make it clear the 10 cent coin is not demonetized but the copper-nickel version is not allowed to circulate officially and is meant to be substituted with the copper-plated steel at every transaction. Still the use of these small coins have decreased.
 
Do you have a coin from the New Zealand and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

8 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Pockets O'Change said...

Hold up, are you saying that they stopped using 10c coins or just the previous version that isn't copper plated? Because it is true that they got rid of all their coins that were less than 10c. The 10c, from what I know is the smallest coin in circulation and used for transactions, but treated like a penny. Kind of odd, because one would like to assume that the $1 coin is treated like a dime in such cases, but that's not true. I love the newer NZ coins, when I was in Singapore a few years ago, I found 4 NZ coins on the floor of the hotel I was staying at and they just happened to be AU/BU. Got lucky! Beautiful coin! Nice post!

Man said...

Hold up, are you saying that they stopped using 10c coins or just the previous version that isn't copper plated?

My bad, I did not mean to say demonetized but that this copper-nickel version has been replaced.

I will correct that one word.

When they issued the copper plated version they made a big effort to recall and melt all copper-nickels. So as a policy they never would return copper-nickel 10 cents.

Pockets O'Change said...

Lol, that's what I thought, the Kiwis really don't care much about small change, at least that's what my NZ friends say.

Very few commonwealth countries demonetize their coins, at least from what I know, NZ is one of those odd-ball countries. I loved the older coins, they were HUGE and the same size as the Australian coins. At least they made a substantial step towards producing an economical form of currency.

Thanks for the clarification!

Anonymous said...

Hi , just wondering the value of my 1936 Florin
It's in great condition ??

Man said...

1936 Florin
It's in great condition


I'll assume from New Zealand, about $500.00.

Condition is key if it is fine then $15.00.
Extra-fine then $500.00.

A huge gap in grades that can only be judged by a grading company or in hand.

Unknown said...

Hi I have a 1985 10 cent. How much is it worth?

Man said...

1985 10 cent at least 10 cents depending on country.

Anonymous said...

I have a 2012 Queen Elizabeth 11 10 cent piece, want to know what it is worth