Monday, March 26, 2012

1985 British Pound

Do you have British penny and want to know its value? Leave a comment

I am always confused what to call them. Are they British coins, coins from the United Kingdom, or coins from Great Britain? It is the third most common coin I have behind the U.S. and Canada. I have either found or got in coin lots 227 British coins most in the past fifteen years.

 
 
 
 
 

Love that edge it says + PLEIDIOL WYF I'M GWLAD which means either True To My Land or True am I to my country. Either way it is Welsh with goes with the yummy Welsh leek on the reverse. The edge is both reeded and incused with words to stop counterfeiting. Unfortunately it has not worked with up to 3% of all pound coins circulating are estimated to be fake, that is 41 million coin.

So a few years ago when American dollar coins got edge lettering it was in response to the growing South American counterfeiters. Columbia in particular have faked American dollar coins for a few cent each and flooded that and surrounding countries since American money is more stable and legal to use.  

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 1 Pound / Great Britain
Year: 1985
Mintage: 228,431,000
Metal: Nickel-Brass
Value: $1.59 in VF (very-fine)

These British coins take up a lot of space in the vault, by that I mean a fat envelope in a shoe box, and most have retained face value if not more.

Update: Just wanted to add some US Dollar vs British Pound coin comparisons.

 

The British Pound is much thicker but a smaller diameter which makes it better to use, but do not expect that to happen in the U.S. since coin machines would have to be redone costing millions.

Do you have a coin from Great Britain and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

148 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

TL said...

I never seen a British pound before, I'm glad you posted this!

Man said...

I never seen a British pound before, I'm glad you posted this!

I should have put some scale to it, comparing it to U.S. coins.

Hey wait I own this blog I can do that now!

Anonymous said...

Do you know why most pound coins are so worn? Is it the high usage?

Man said...

Do you know why most pound coins are so worn? Is it the high usage?


Yes, since they no longer use pound notes the coin gets very high usage.

The thick and heaviness also plays a role since a lighter coin would get bent and then pulled from circulation. These coins do not bend easily and will be known as a pound coin even if the are very worn.

Duncan Hill said...

"British coins" or "Coins from the United Kingdom" is correct. British is the adjective meaning "from the UK". Great Britain is the UK's largest island, but is not a country.

Man said...

"British coins" or "Coins from the United Kingdom" is correct. British is the adjective meaning "from the UK". Great Britain is the UK's largest island, but is not a country.

Thanks, it is listed in coin books as "Great Britain".

I like the slang British it is like calling a U.S. One Cent a penny. Penny in the U.S. is wrong but still commonly used.

falon said...

How much is a coin like this for

Man said...

How much is a coin like this for

Like what? Please be specific.

Unknown said...

I have a 1987 one pound coin how much do u think its worth?

Man said...

1987 one pound coin

About $1.75

Anonymous said...

Got a 1985 one pound coin, whats it worth?

Man said...

1985 one pound coin

About $1.55

Anonymous said...

I had a one pound 1985 coin what is its price - santosh

Man said...

one pound 1985 coin about $1.50

Unknown said...

I have an Elizabeth 2 1983 twenty pence coin any help with value would be great. Thank you 😊

Anonymous said...

Just found this coin rattling around in a coin machine in central usa today. Thanks for the images and description..very cool to find this so quickly on the internet!

Man said...

Elizabeth 2 1983 twenty pence coin

About $0.25

Man said...

Just found this coin rattling around in a coin machine in central usa today. Thanks for the images and description..very cool to find this so quickly on the internet!

You're welcome and thanks for the visit.

Anonymous said...

British is not an adjective meaning "from the UK". It is an adjective meaning from Briton, or England. Just go ahead and tell a Scotsman or Welshman they are British, I think you will find out it is the incorrect nomenclature. It is a UK coin, used in Scotland, England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

Zazel said...

"British is not an adjective meaning "from the UK". It is an adjective meaning from Briton, or England. Just go ahead and tell a Scotsman or Welshman they are British, I think you will find out it is the incorrect nomenclature. It is a UK coin, used in Scotland, England, Wales, and Northern Ireland".

Let agree to disagree...
British, Brit or Briton > relating to the United Kingdom, its people and language.
English people, Welsh people, Scottish people and People of Northern Ireland are all British... and so the coins!

Man said...

@Anonymous and @Zazel
Almost clarified that for me. For know I will use the common term of British.

It is like calling a U.S. cent a penny, technically it's wrong but it is so common that it does not matter.

Duncan Hill said...

Anonymous from December 31, 2015 above really hasn't got a clue!

England is not also called "Briton". A Briton is a person from the UK, i.e. a British person. Britain simply is a short form of "the United Kingdom", and British means "from the UK". That is official usage. (It's somewhat similar to how American means "from the USA").

Scotsmen and Welshmen ARE British. I can't understand why anyone would think otherwise. I live in Wales and my passport says I am a "British citizen", unsurprisingly enough!

In fact the Scots and Welsh are probably "more British than the English" ethnically, since they are mostly descended from Celtic tribes who were known as the Priteni. The Romans then called the land "Britannia" after the Priteni, which is where the terms Britain and British come from.

The Angles (and Saxons and other Germanic tribes) only arrived from the continent after the 5th Century AD, and they give us the words England and English.

PS. For some reason coin and stamp books refer to the UK as "Great Britain", but this incorrect. Great Britain is an island, not a country. Northern Ireland is part of the UK, but not in Great Britain.

England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are the four countries that make up the UK. The first 3 countries are in Great Britain; the latter is in the island of Ireland, bordering the Republic of Ireland.

My link may be helpful.

Kimm8stuff said...

British one pound coin 2008

Kimm8stuff said...

British 2011 20 Pence

Kimm8stuff said...

British 2001 2 Pence

Kimm8stuff said...

1984 British one pound coin

Kimm8stuff said...

1983 one pound coin

Man said...

...PS. For some reason coin and stamp books refer to the UK as "Great Britain", but this incorrect.

For the purpose of this blog I will continue to use the standards established in books for numismatic. Of course this may change and I will update if necessary. To all the British, Britons, and folks from the U.K. please understand.

Man said...

British one pound coin 2008
--About $1.50

British 2011 20 Pence
--About $0.30

British 2001 2 Pence
--About $0.03

1984 British one pound coin
--About $1.50

1983 one pound coin
--About $1.50

(Scott_80) said...

I have one of these

Anonymous said...

I have 2 one pound 1985 coins how would someone is it worth if i sale to someone? ELIZABETH II PLEIDIOL WYF IM GWLAD +. Same as above can you help me??

Anonymous said...

I need to know if took this one pound coins as collateral what are they worth?

Anonymous said...

Where can i get the one pound coins apprised? In California United States

Man said...

I have one of these

Cool.

Man said...

one pound 1985 coins

About $2.00 if not circulated.

Selling would be difficult since this is a common coin.

Unknown said...

I have one pound 1985 coins how would someone is it worth if i sale to someone? ELIZABETH II PLEIDIOL WYF IM GWLAD + Pl tele me the value my mail I'd Senudhiraj@gmail.com

Man said...

one pound 1985 coins

About $1.00 each if circulated

Unknown said...

Sir I have a coin one pound 1984 this coin one side picture Elizabeth 11nd and other side tree please tell me what is the price for this coin

Man said...

one pound 1984 this coin one side picture Elizabeth 11nd and other side tree

About $1.25

Unknown said...

How much zar will I get for a 1985 Elizabeth 2 coin at the bank

Man said...

How much zar will I get for a 1985 Elizabeth 2 coin at the bank

If you mean British 2 Pounds then about 34 Rands

betman said...

i have a 1985 pound with the errors in the side letters PLEIDIOL WYF IM GWLAD. at IN the ' is missingg is there an extra value in that?

Man said...

1985 pound with the errors in the side letters PLEIDIOL WYF IM GWLAD. at IN the ' is missingg is there an extra

No extra value, Struck Through Grease Error.

Unknown said...

Have a 2016 Elizabeth lol DG REG FD one pound. What is it worth

Man said...

2016 Elizabeth lol DG REG FD one pound

About $1.30

Unknown said...

I have taken apart an antique dresser to restore and found this coin under the mirror section. Obviously it was left there on purpose. I'm in Perth Australia so no idea if it's worth anything. It's a 1985 One Pound that says on the outside pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad

Man said...

1985 One Pound that says on the outside pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad

About $2.00 common just exchange value.

Unknown said...

Hi i have 6 one pounds with all the names on it and one with patens on it is it worth something or saleing

Man said...

6 one pounds with all the names on it and one with patens on it

Depends on year and condition but most are just face value.

Anonymous said...

I have a 1995 one pound welsh dragon coin and i want to know what it is worth in aud

Anonymous said...

I have 2 one pound 1985 coins how would someone is it worth if i sale to someone? ELIZABETH II PLEIDIOL WYF IM GWLAD +. Could you please help me sell them?

Anonymous said...

I have a couple of them Elizabeth coins and other big ones I want to know how much is it worth if say I went to the store and bought something how much Is it worth or how much money it is or have like a 20 dollar coin so is this like a dollar coin since it says one pound?

Unknown said...

I have a D•G•REG•F•D•1985 ELIZABETH II how much is it worth.

Unknown said...

Imam sashtata moneta

Thuan Thach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lissander said...

I have a couple of coins of a pound of 1985, what will be its current value?

lissander said...

I have a couple of coins of a pound of 1985, what will be its current value?

Anonymous said...

I have a 1985 pound coin was wondering its value

Anonymous said...

hi i have about 300 pounds in coins. 1 and 2 pound denominations. does anybody know where i can sell them here in toronto canada?

Anonymous said...

im the guy that asked about the 300 in british pound coins. can you kindly send me an email if you have any helpful advice, thank you. andrew.critch2@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I have found a coin like the one in the post the 1 pound coin from 1985 that says pleidiol wyf i'm gwald. How much does it worth now?

Unknown said...

I have two of them. Are they worth anything?

Unknown said...

I have one of these coins with writing on the edge, what are they worth?

SUNNY said...

I have one pound 1985 coin i want sell

Unknown said...

I have a 1985 one, but the cross is missing the bottom. What is it worth?

Unknown said...

I have one pound Elizabeth 11 same one shown on this website contact me on 0646769035

Unknown said...

I have one pound Elizabeth 11 same one shown on this website contact me on 0646769035

Reader said...

Hi,
I have one pound Coin of 2003. What is it worth ?

Unknown said...

Hi

Unknown said...

I have one the same

Unknown said...

I have a lot of old money mihailalexandru81@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Have Elizabeth coin 1985 have one only

Unknown said...

Wyf l'm gwlad +pleidiol have one pound Elizabeth 11 d.g.reg.f.d 1985

Unknown said...

I need your contact plzzz if u get me

Unknown said...

I have 1985 one pound coin how much do you think its worth

Unknown said...

I have 1989 elizabeth 1 pound what is actual price value

Unknown said...

If any want elizabeth 1 pound contact me 7487006894

Unknown said...

I have a lot of old coins from the UK or England and would like to sell them let me know if interested

Unknown said...

I have this exact coin how much is it worth?

Unknown said...

I have this exact coin how much is it worth?

korona virus said...

i have same coin pls tell me value for this coin

Unknown said...

Hey

Unknown said...

I have 1987 coin please this value

Unknown said...

I have 1987 coin how much this value

Unknown said...

I have this coin.

Unknown said...

I have the same coin 1985 and 1990 how much is the value of the coins?

Unknown said...

8608834850 my whatsapp number

Unknown said...

I have I think hundred of this if I sell these coins how much each coin worth? thank you hoping for your response .

Unknown said...

6 us dollars

Unknown said...

I have one same coin British penny 1985,,how much value

Unknown said...

I have one same coin British penny 1985,,how much value

Unknown said...

I have one 1985 coin elizabeEl 2nd 1 pound

Unknown said...

I have one pound coin of son 1985 intrested one in buying call me
+91-9131923156

Rohanraj joshi said...

Having a coin of one pound interested candid for buying can call me at number
+91-9893320293

Unknown said...

i have 1pound coin Queen Elisabeth D.G.REG.F.D.1985 PLEIVIOL

Unknown said...

I have one of them old coins that is in your pic how can you tell if it's fake or real

Unknown said...

I have one pound 1985 coin

Unknown said...

I hve 1995 old coin one pound ELISABETH11 D.G.REG.F.D.1995

Shivaay said...

I have one pound coin 1985...what is its value?

Unknown said...

I have this coin

Unknown said...

I also bosss

Unknown said...

how much is a 1985 pound worth in peso

Unknown said...

What is the value of 1985 queen elizabeth II one pound coin

Unknown said...

I have four of them

Unknown said...

i have one pound
how much this value?

Unknown said...

I have 1985 elizabeth coin 1pound here how much is the value to philippine money

Devendra kumar said...

ha mere paas hai 1985 D. G. REG F. D KA SIKKA

Unknown said...

I have Elizabeth 20pence,1983@elizabeth one penny 2002,elizabeth 5 pence 2007 how much the value to phillippne money

Anonymous said...

I HAVE A 1984 elizabeth 1 pound coin with small 4 is its worth anything

Unknown said...

need a buyer for elizabeth 2 D.G reg F.D 1985 one pount

Unknown said...

need a buyer

Unknown said...

sell

Unknown said...

i pick this coin up and need a buyer

Anonymous said...

Hi

Anonymous said...

One pound coins.

Unknown said...

I have one pound 1985

Unknown said...

Selling.. give me any offer

Unknown said...

I have one 1985

Unknown said...

Im selling one pound 1985 give any offer

Unknown said...

I have one pound 1985

Unknown said...

Llo tengo uno

Unknown said...

I have one pound as this one

Unknown said...

Then i have one since 1983

Unknown said...

I have a coin of FD since 1985 what its price

Unknown said...

I have one if those how do it knw if is fake ???

Alexander said...

I have one pound coin of Elizabeth II 1985

Alexander said...

I have one pound coin of Elizabeth II 1985

babygirl2012 said...

Good question I have one as well as and it looks pretty old barely can see if a date is there

Unknown said...

Mam identyczną tylko z błędem meniczy taka sama jak ma Pan na zdjęciu tylko napis odwrotny?

Unknown said...

I have a queen Elizabeth II 1997 50 pence coin which I have researched and found out it's rare and I would like to know its value

Unknown said...

I have British 1 pond (1985) what is it,s value

Unknown said...

I have 1 pond British (1985) what is it,s value

Unknown said...

I have 1 british pond (1985) I want it,s value

Unknown said...

I have 1 british pond (1985) I want know it,s value

Anonymous said...

I have a Queen Elizabeth year 1985 with its thickness said pleidiol wyf gwglad contact me on 09089458209 phillippines

Anonymous said...

Pleidiol wyf im gwad value?

Anonymous said...

I have a coin and I want to sell it, where can I sell it?

Anonymous said...

👍

Anonymous said...

What are they worth

Anonymous said...

I have a 1985 Queen Elizabeth coin thats thick and has the Welch Wheat on the other side. How much is it worth?

Anonymous said...

I have a 1985 pound coin that appears to be missing the apostrophe in the I’m on the edge of the coin. Is that a recognized error?

Anonymous said...

I have 1985 d.g.reg

Anonymous said...

I have a 1985 one pound value in ZAR for it is

Len Cooper said...

1985 one pound value in ZAR and it still in excellent condition

Anonymous said...

Hi

Anonymous said...

have 1 pound 1985 i sell want

Anonymous said...

Tengo una moneda de Elizabeth 2 de 1985 me gustaría saber si es 0lease

Anonymous said...

I found a 1985 Queen Elizabeth British Pound